Plantar fasciitis and skating

been off my wheels over 6 months now. Less pain now so I pulled my parts together and reassembled my outdoor skates. Wheels are 86mm cut down to 76mm. Got rid of radiused edges and extra weight by removing the outer face. Added spacers for 1/4" more clearance to prevent boot bite. I'm just about ready to go skating again, can't wait!

20200412_113023.jpg
4000 x 3000 - 4M

Comments

• I think you can get special insole inserts for your shoes to help relieve planters foot symptoms, also support socks.....they may help make skates more comfortable for you perhaps

• Got them. Won't fit skates though. They fit good.

• Bro, I had three big problems when I started skating. First was plantar fasciitis. The other two were shin splints and knee pain. All three went away when I started skating. In fact, it's one of the things that keeps me "on the wagon" when it comes to skating. I know if I stop all that stuff will come back. When I was suffering from the PF I read that it was usually caused by not enough exercise or too much exercise. Also, as others have mentioned shoes and positioning of the foot mattered a lot. I found out that if I skate with a flat (no heel) boot, I can still get a bit of PF. However, if I skate with a boot that has a heel, it seems to prevent the PF in my case. My shin splints went away from the increased exercise and my knee pain went away as my ligaments and supporting muscles got stronger and my skating technique improved. As you know, when you switch between flat and heeled boots, it screws with your balance (unless you do it a lot and get really used to it).

• edited September 2020

I was skating up to 4 hours a week with slight heel height. Consider myself a strong skater. I skate as fast as the rinks and floor allow me to. Usually I don't fall for months and usually because of something that was caused by someone else. It's now been a year, got drugs, got shots now off work for 6 weeks. In my case it started on the left side of my left foot, now it is the heel. I've been off work a week now and finally improving. I hope 6 weeks is enough.

• edited October 2020

You people probably know that the usual Rx for PF is stretching your calves regularly. The worse problem you have the more attention you should pay to regular stretching (internet search for details). Inserts are often proscribed, too. Superfeet, or custom proscribed, the former are cheaper and can be nearly as good, also they're tough and in my experience don't wear out. The high end New Balance basketball shoes that I attached permanently to my Jogger trucks, came with pretty decent inserts, and I haven't put any of my customs in them. Seem to be doing OK. Much less PF issues than I used to have, e.g. when I was playing a lot of golf (walking very hilly course a couple times a week, in golf shoes).

• I have a pretty good recipe for getting rid of PF. The drs way took 18 months, my way 6 to 8 weeks.

• I haven't noticed PF issues for a few years now, it seems. I have been stretching my calves a fair amount. PF can really screw you up!