looking for any pic's or address of the old Skateland in 1965 west tampa off Himes ave in Tampa

Hi all, having memories of the past of my Skating days, used to attend the Skate land rink,it used to be off Himes ave in the 33607 area in old west Tampa, would anyone remember this rink? or have any pic's? used to be a great place to skate and take the racing lessons.. the wooden wheels gripped the Terrazzo floors really good..

Comments

• Hi, I am Roller Rink Historian. I have done a lot of work on list of rinks in Florida but I just checked the list. I have a couple of Skateland but not exactly where you said. I have those 2 Skateland in Bradenton area. You can check if the rink you are talking about is on my site. Hope that helps. If not on there, I would have to add!

• Hi, I attended this rink in the mid 60's, it was called skateland, it was off Himes ave & Dale Mabry hwy in the 33607 area in old west Tampa florida,would really love to find the old location of this rink, I know it's not there anymore

• I can look into it for you.

• Thank you & God Bless

• Boat, can you please describe more about this place? And where was it near by? I mean like maybe a landmark or well known place? Those two roads you talked about are very long and they both are parallel to each other. Another thing, let you know that I usually find list of closed up rinks and often they are missing information online and I red marked them which means no information. I could not find it but best way for you if you are still living in the area, go to Tampa historical society and they may can help you with finding out. Have you checked the newspapers? They too might. Go to your local library archives department and go through microfilm. They still do that today and they would be pretty easy to find. I have done it for family history. If you want to contact me directly, go through my site and you can reach me. My email is there. From time to time, I will find out. Thank you.

• it was about 1/4 mile south of I-4 interstate overpass on Himes ave. and about 1/2 mile South of a giant water tower on himes ave ..

the rink was on the west side of Himes ave.

• Ok, great, thanks!

• the Rink was owned by a Mr & Mrs Fox , the Skate counter tech was Scott.. the Coach was a college Student at the time named Brian, he also taught speed skating there for skaters he picked and taught free of charge

• You said, "it was about 1/4 mile south of I-4 interstate overpass on Himes ave. and about 1/2 mile South of a giant water tower on himes ave ..

the rink was on the west side of Himes ave."

I found the tower thanks to a website (construction company), and so I guess it would be where Walmart is now. Was that the spot? I was more likely thinking the spot next door to Walmart. I could not find anymore info about this rink. But thank you. Still researching.

• Im not sure if was where the walmart is or not ,but the rink was only about 100 ft from the edge of Himes ave..

• Does anyone use the Landyachtz Dinghy board like me? I'm a college student now and need something to get around campus. Skateboards don't have wheels to handle bumps like these. So this is perfect as it feels like a skateboard that I love with wheels that can handle city terrain. I'm a small person who is only 5' 3" tall, so shorter boards are great. I have a husky that I dragged onto the board for exercise, it loves it and it's a great board for this type of activity.

• With the best skateboard for college, you can not only get to school conveniently but also stay physically active.

• have no idea.. Im old school,used to make my own .. they worked great