Advice for plates for street skates please?

Hi, I've been skating for 20 years but never got into hardware config/setup at all, I don't remember ever oiling bearings for example. I have skated on a Roces heavy boot, and more recently on an artistic boot using Suregrip Super-X plate.

I plan to build a new skate in the coming weeks and I am really having a tough time distinguishing bearings, can you help me please?

I street-skate mostly, so hacking along with traffic on the road, curb-jumping and occasionally spinning and jumping over furniture, park benches etc.

I would like to get a plate that can take a lot of hammering, preferably without snapping kingpins or trucks, and is fairly lightweight so I can jump, 10 degree double-action, 8mm axle and can handle either 58mm snake wheels or 70mm wheels for village skating on crappy roads and I have a preference for the fixed bulleyethingy toestops but could be flexible on that.

Do you have any ideas please?

Thank you very much, super appreciate it.

Comments

• Hey there,

I'm a street skater as well, have been for the last 7 years. Been building skate setups for the past 4 years.

My favorite setups for street skating are my Nike Zoom boots (that were Ice skates in their first incarnation) with Avanti plates, Kryptonic Route 70 or 65 wheels. My other setup is Chaya Karmas, which are 3/4 high top, very solid boot, and comfy AF for those long trail skates. I wear skates more than I do shoes, so both of the boots I've mentioned I can wear all day long. The Karmas have nylon plates, which are both tough and lite. They were designed primarily for park skating, so I traded out the wheels for Pulse 65 mm.,

Hope this helps you!

"I just love to skate. I found that the more time I put into it, the more enjoyment I got out of it." --Slomo

• I do a lot of street/park skating, and one of my favorite plates is Sure Grip Avanti, which is a 10⁰, mostly because it holds up to everything you throw at it, and is pretty customizable with trucks/etc. They're also tall enough that the majority of wheels avoid wheel bite, even taller ones, and the kingpin doesn't drag and catch on things you might come across outdoors, and you can grind on the trucks without kingpin drag.

I know normally, the aluminum version is like $100, but the magnesium version is half as heavy as the aluminum, and comes with adjustable pivot arms, and it's just under $200, if I remember correctly.