Heat molding to skinny ankles

OK.. so i have purchased some bont jet speed skates...

I have wide feel and really skinny ankles... just like a duck....

My issue is that the boots fit great and the ankles seem roomy.... how tight are the ankle areas meant to be.... how much should I be able to move it left to right?

I did heat mold them at 85c or 185f... but the ankle areas didn't seem to bend in a lot...

Anyone have any tips?

Comments

• You can ask somebody to sqeeze, but that area is hard. So using wood/glue clamps is a better idea.

From The Netherlands

• edited June 2020

I assume you mean to bring in the heels. Ankles don't need to be tight. It is the heel where you really want a vice grip.

I've performed this excercise on a couple of boots and my Pinnacle customs. It is a tricky thing to get right. You are trying to reshape an area that still needs to have a curve.

I used word working clamps like https://www.amazon.com/WORKPRO-16-Piece-Spring-Muslin-Backdrops/dp/B0109K8F3O?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_3 and https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-6-in-100-lbs-Trigger-Clamp-with-2-43-in-Throat-Depth-DWHT83139/204389199

• Care must be used when clamping the boot cuffs when trying to control pronation/supination slop on an ill-fitting boot. If you clamp and compress the cuff onto your ankle during traditional after-market molding what can happen is that the stiffer less moldable outer shell 'springs back' a bit when released but the inner soft and more-moldable foam layer takes a set when held at the clamped state during cooling. Because of the shell spring-back... the cuff can actually get looser on the ankle.

If you have a large amount of slop to remove... you might consider a two step process. To begin, you need to figure out how much cuff width reduction you need. Then... step 1 is to heat mold the boots NOT ON YOUR FEET, using clamps in the oven and while cooling to slightly over- compress the cuff so that when shell spring-back happens after clamp release when cold the shell is closer to where your ankle wants it to be. Step 2 is to then perform a 'regular' heat molding to your foot/ankle AFTER the shell has completely cooled off and completely taken a set.

I started on Bont Jets, now have Bont Vaypors and Bont short-track Ice boots. The Bont standard last is very good for my foot... but I do perform a bit of tweaking.

just late... not dead 😀

• Thanks all.

The heel grip is fine. I have no heel lift. I just wanted then closer on the top of the ankle because I was feeling wobbly.

It is partially being new to Cuffley boots and lacking strength and partially because the cuffs were so wide.

I heated them and gave them a squeeze then heated them again and wore them really tight... this helped loads....

Just the muscle and skill needs to grow now hehehe

• oh... also i put some smaller rounded profile wheels in to start with... 100mm in a 125 frame. Made them easier to start with. Will them noce up to some 110 butter profile and then back to the 125 hydrogen wheels I was in.

IMG_20200625_145039_633.jpg
    2268 x 2268 - 834K
  • I have molded my boots tight at ankle area. But after long sessions with 125mm ankles bones hurt. So remodelled to a little bit loose fit. And pay more attention to stand in balance.

From The Netherlands

• You asked how tight should the shoes be in the ankle area, and Ese002 replied that not so much. I disagree. I started off on powerslide r2 boots and after a year, first time when I had a session with a coach he told me I needed stiffer boots as they offered no support in the ankle area. 50% of the problem was the boot, 50% was lack of sufficient ankle strenght. I was able to squeeze in a finger into the R2s when fully laced up. When I changed to Bont Jets I am not able to squeze in a finger at all, and that's how it's supposed to be, as I know it. You can also consider using special ankle 'socks' by powerslide that will add a 1-2mms extra width in your ankles to fill up a loose shoe.

• I have been using ankle socks/footies. I feel with ankle socks, controlling is less responsive. I have better results with thin compression socks. But like taste, fitment is for everyone different...

From The Netherlands