Need more speed.....

Currently I am riding on Rollerblade 3X125 12,6 frame. I have the feeling I have reached my max speed with this setup.

I would like to increase speed with current setup. Any ideas how...maybe more pushes per mintute, longer strikes etc?

Thanks🤗😎

From The Netherlands

Comments

• edited June 2020

Really tough to answer without seeing your form as there are so many ways to diverge from the ideal speed skating technique. Check out some of Pascal Briand's videos critiquing amatuer speed skaters on youtube. here's one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJxNXXFlbRQ

Ive learned much more from watching critiques of amateurs than watching the pros. I guess it's hard to figure out what your doing wrong when they do everything right.

Also videoing my form with either a selfie stick or just holding the phone out in front of me has been a surprise as to how far I need to go.

• Yes totally agree, i cant judge myself. I think I am doing double push but i cant do all the time. While it asked a lot of energy.

Thanks for sharing links, will have a look.

From The Netherlands

• edited June 2020

Form doesn't mean anything if your fitness is sub par along with your level of stamina. The fitness side of things will take of your speed. The stamina part comes in for keeping up the pace to pass cyclists lmao. Ok admittedly it only happened the once years ago on quads at the height of peak fitness. Nothing wrong tho with embellishing the story & making it out it happens all the time hehehe

edit: for the record it's been 30 years since i last last skated & my fitness level is minus 100 %. I have no stamina to speak of only will power . So don't feel too bad your far better off than i am. I'm re-learning to skate again i'm wobbly as frak (quads). Having a rest for a couple of days to repair damage to back side. You'd think i never skated before lmao

Faking it till i make it

• Thanks for info. In mine case I really have a lot of energy , but cant use them right....😪

From The Netherlands

• Well, personally, because I train purely for pleasure and I like working on my technique I have been investing the past 2 years mainly in technical training/exercises. Why? Because I ind it more productive than to keep clocking kilomitetres/miles with bad technique, reinforcing bad habits or not knowing what I am doing. And still, technical exercise can be very exhausting. I easily go above 180 HR/min doing technical exercises.

It's really what you are after, but for me, in many areas of my life form has been important (similarly so with languages, where some people don't care much about grammar or pronounciation as long as they can communicate/speak).

• Yeah totally agree form is important.

But using form doesn't mean it will lead you to success I mean e.g. double push doesn't mean let you win.

It also person itself his strength and his own or learned form are important.

From The Netherlands

• I have been rolling on 110 for a while now. I can feel pushes are much stronger and end speed is higher. I can conclude 3x125 is only suitable for real smooth surface.

From The Netherlands

• I think this guy might be a good resource for you: Ricardo Lino on Youtube.

"I just love to skate. I found that the more time I put into it, the more enjoyment I got out of it." --Slomo

• Thanks, I have heard of that guy before. Not really informative, more commercial making.....

I prefer knowledge of this forum :-)

From The Netherlands

• Ricardo is an ex speed skater . He also goes into wheels & gives pro's & cons of smaller vs larger wheels however i assume you've already looked into that. The few inline vids i've watched the norm appears to be 90 or 110

Faking it till i make it

• Yes i have been skating on 62mm to 125mm.

I have bought Bont Cxxv 12,8" frame.

It seems this frame is more balanced with body load to wheels. With RB frame I can wheel center wheel very well ( more loaded) and loose some grip during pushes.

I can't feel no difference between 12,6" and 12,8" in length.

From The Netherlands

• Yeah those wheels at 125mm are bloody tall & look insane. I'm not sure if i had inlines i'd want 125mm on them. I'm short & just like a hobbit i like being close to the ground lol

Faking it till i make it

• Yeah I am a hobbit too (1,7m). I took some time to adapt 125mm wheels.

Riding on 4x110 is more fun, no stuck when riding on bad road.

I prefer riding on pedestrian area (not smooth), don't like the idea to hit a car when on road.

From The Netherlands