New to this

Hello fellow skaters! I used to skate all the time when I was younger- but being an adult tends to get in the way with doing a lot of things I used to enjoy. Now that the pandemic is here (not saying it's a good thing) I have more free time on my hands and want to get back into skating. Specifically, I am looking at Rhythm and Jam skating. I have a background in dance, so this looks like a really fun and interesting way to meet new people, exercise, socialize, and incorporate my love of dance all in one. I have a few questions:

1) what are a good pair of beginner skates I should get? Not super worried about cost because I want something decent that will last me awhile.

2) I live by a good indoor roller rink up here in the Spring/Woodlands area. So finding a place to practice shouldn't be to complicated.

3) are there any meets or groups I could Join?Classes I could take? People I could learn from, etc?

4) Good protective gear because falls happen and I don't need a trip to the ER right now.

Thanks so much for reading this far! I appreciate you!

Comments

• I'd recommend the Riedell Juice for Rhythm/Dance. They are perfect because they come with a jam plug instead of the big toe stopper, so it's better for dancing/rhythm. They are so comfortable but supportive with good plates. Almost no break-in time. For wheels I'd recommend the Radar Varsity Plus or All American Plus.

I don't know which state Spring/Woodland is in, but you'll want to check that rinks are open due to the pandemic. Many are still closed and my local rink re-closed.

Most ladies seem to love Moxi's, as the colors are cute and they are also a perfect boot to re-start skating in. So comfortable!

I know Skaterobics does Zoom classes, but I don't really know anything about it. They teach rhythm skating. The actual classes are amazing, but in NY.

For protection I'd recommend the brand Triple Eight wrist/knee/elbow pads/guards.

Sorry, I don't know anything about Jam Skating, so if that's what you're into (with the Vanilla style skates), then sorry, my recommendation was way off. Good luck and WELCOME BACK!!!!!

• Gloves are a crucial safety tool for every rider. Even though this apparel’s price can be lower than your wear-out shoe replacement, the safety gloves are still in the range between $50 and $90, which is quite expensive for an amateur. If you want to have one a more comfortable price (~$56), you can create your own gear at home.