Rebuilding Quad Snyder Super Deluxe

Hey everyone!

I am getting back into skating and want to rebuild my old artistic skates. I was a hardcore freestyle competitive skater in Canada, and have some sweet Snyder super deluxe (sz 6) and 2 sets of wheels both with fafnir bearings (excalibur /belair perfections) . I think I've got some SK bearings kicking around too.

QUESTIONS -

Q#1

what size boot can you go up to on a pair of sz 6 Snyder plates? (my boots were WIFA 37.5 if I remember right - I checked and I seem to be a WIFA 38/38.5 now) I am trying to decide if I should sell these plates and go up a size or if I can manage a slightly larger boot on them (the other boots are long gone)

Q#2

Is it worth it to clean my retro bearings and wheels - or better to buy something new? If I am getting new which bearings/wheels for grippy floors? (generally sealed concrete)

Q#3

How do you tell if the cushions on the trucks need replacing?

Q#4

Are there basic restore/clean-up videos out there you recommend? Products? I was spoiled as a kid, my dad was a racecar/hydroplane driver - he would always make my skates the best! Now I gotta get with the program on my own 😎

Q#5

Anyone know good sources for used boots in the Toronto area AND someone good at mounting or good videos on mounting plates?

Super happy I found you guys!

PS, I am on the hunt for some WEBER SWISS WHEELS or similar

I got my Hogwarts letterπŸ’Œ with my magical flying rollerskates!πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈβ›ΈοΈ

Comments

• Q1. The Snyder chart says a 37.5 boot is the recommended size for size 6 Snyder. I seriously doubt you would need to go up to the size 7 for a 38.5. Way too many sk8rs follow the boot / plate size chart like it was some sort of holy writ. It isn't. In fact, the boot size is kind of irrelevant when you get right down to it. What matters more is where your foot rides in the boot, since that really determines where it should be placed. So I would go with what you have....Unless you want to spend money...

Q2. If the Excalibers are in decent shape, keep 'em. The Fafnirs (if 7 ball) are as good as anything out there if they are in good shape. If they are the 8 ball there really isn't anything that will touch them. Either way, if they clean up, then role 'em like ya stole 'em. Don't know I have ever run into Belair Perfections, but if they are cast on to a metal hub, beware, Every set of cast metal hub Belair wheels I have run across have had a loose hub or 2 where thw bond between the tire and the hub has failed.

Q3 Just replace them. They are not that pricey. Get a set that is a step softer than the ones on the sk8s. If you have the white striped cushions, then you would want a pink striped set. (As a side point I convert every Snyder that comes through my shop to urethane cushions.Snappier response.)

Q4 As far as videos etc... IDK. I have been doing this since 1998 (I am mechanically inclined myself so I constantly do things that make the old school sk8rs cringe.πŸ˜‹.) and I never needed any one to show me. You may want to find some of the better fb Sk8 groups... There are some folks that actually make the vids you are looking for. Why you could even find me there. πŸ˜‰

Q5 Once again, find some of fb sk8 groups. There are Canadian members that can most likely point you in the correct direction. JUst have to sniff around a bit.

Good luck!!

• edited August 2020

THANKS FOR SUCH DETAILED REPLIES!!

To follow up:

Q1 - ya I felt the same way but was wondering if a full size jump might be too much...

Q2 - my excaliburs are in decent shape but skated a lot on them - could tru - them up (we used to throw them on a lathe to extend the life of wheels - and crazy things like flipping the wheel "inside-out" with a spacer (worked great for getting hard edges for figures/loops)

Belair Perfections don't have the metal hub - they were my fav for my home rink floor which was a resin - 86A's 60mm

Q3 Thanks for info on the urethane cushions! Mine are original black and because I am a heavy jumper and hardcore spinner we had stiff ones.

Q4. I'll be looking for ya on FB now!

Q5 I called up my old guy at the Figure Skate Boutique in Richmond Hill - seriously strange deja vu...still same guy and he remembers me! LOL. So yeeeyyyyy on 2 counts. He's got boots for me AND he is amazing at mounting.

I got my Hogwarts letterπŸ’Œ with my magical flying rollerskates!πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈβ›ΈοΈ

• Sounds like you are set to go then!!