Looking to replace my quads

Hello all,I'm looking to replace my old quads and wondering what would be the best option for me. Currently working with 30 year old Riedell 695's and a Laser hard-nose plate. The boots aren't as comfortable any longer (lining has worn thin.) Plates are still viable, but every so often I have to tighten up my front left truck (a few times during a session.) I maybe make session once or twice a year, but have been doing some outdoor skating (with outdoor wheels of course) so I'm looking at getting back into the rink. I've seen good reviews for VNLA freestyle pros but I'm a little gun-shy of making a purchase of them, since I've only used Riedell in my 40 years (off and on) of skating.

Any suggestions for a good replacement skate that won't be upwards of 800? Or should I just get new boots and work with that for a while?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post!

Comments

• I'm doing similar over here (Snyder Super Deluxe plates used to have WifA boots)

Frankly I think you should just get new boots, and maybe do a nice rehaul/clean-up of your plates.

If you're finding that you have to adjust the trucks, check to see if you need to replace the cushions and check the kingpin to make sure it is not loose or stripping. Many skaters think their trucks are the issue when in fact it may be the kingpin has come loose a bit. (FYI you can replace the kingpin easily if you've stripped it )

Personally, I've opted for a dedicated outdoor pair and refurbing my Snyders with new boots and new wheels. I'm getting new cushions, taking the whole plate apart and cleaning it up, and splurging on new wheels & bearings....haven't decided on the wheels yet!!

I got my Hogwarts letterπŸ’Œ with my magical flying rollerskates!πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈβ›ΈοΈ

• Unfortunately, the loose king pin is a bad sign. Usually means the plate is stripping. Laser recommended that after the first adjustment you lock the nut by hitting the wrench w/ a hammer.

Initial tightening w-wrench.JPG
    556 x 444 - 202K
  • Now back to the king pin. If you have stripped a steel king pin in a nylon plate, you got some magic going on. BTW what size are your old 695s??

• edited August 2020

Your skate, in a new and improved version, would be something like a Bont Quad Racer with a Sure Grip double action 45 degree plate. Bit of a better boot, bit of better 45 action. If you are chatting with Doc, he may have suggested this already.

• I would replace both the plates and boots. I recently replaced my wife's old skates with roll-line variant C plates. As for boots, look for the style you like first, then weed it down to the the specific brands. I always try on new boots before they are mounted so they can be swapped if the fit is not right.