Back from a long absence, new skate recommendations?

Hello!

I’ve been skating on and off since I got my first pair of rollerblades in 1995... I’m out of practice but not a beginner. I recently dug out my old skates, a pair of K2 Radical 90’s from about 2007 or so, and strapped those old guys on for a spin around the block.

It was all coming back! What a blast! I was a little wobbly though, so I put them away and ordered some pads. I’m 41 and I’m not quite as reckless as I used to be. While I waited for the gear, I rotated the wheels, and lubed up the bearings, and stripped out the brake axle Allen bolt. 😒

Its an odd shape, it steps down once for the brake mount, and again to fit through the frame, and then again to thread into a cap nut, that’s made to fit the other side of the brake mount. I don’t see a replacement offered on the K2 website, and really they’re so dated I’d be pretty surprised if they still were offering parts.

So I’m using this as an excuse to get something more up to date! Yay!

Then I started looking at what was available, and WHOA! This shirts changed in the last *checks calendar* THIRTEEN YEARS!! 😆😆

So I’m looking for some recommendations, or a place that has reliable 3rd party reviews.

What I’m looking for...

After looking around I want to try some bigger wheels, maybe a three wheeler? The K2 Mod 125’s seem like the current version of the Radical, but having that weird 120mm wheel in the middle is a turn off. Three wheels seem like they’d get me into the taller skates, but would be as heavy, or have as long of a frame, but I’m experienced, and in good shape, I’d adapt to the four over some time.

I don’t want a full blown racing skate, I’d like a little more support and comfort than a straight up racing skate looks like it offers. I’ll sacrifice some speed and weight in exchange for comfort and a bit of ankle support.

It looks like you can get carbon fiber hinged skates now? That’s new and exciting.

I’m intrigued by the Boa cable lacing system, I like to crank down my skates, no slop for me, but I want something that will be durable for the long haul, so I’ll lace up if that’s a sturdier closure system. My radicals laced, then had a buckle instep flap, then a Velcro ankle strap. I liked the ability tighten things separately.

I’m not sure what “good skates” are going for these days, I think the Radicals were about 350.00 or so. I’d like to keep around that price point, but I can go higher if it gets me a good step up in quality. I’m just out of the loop.

And I found the K2’s foot bed to be narrow, I wear wide Chacos, so a boot offered in wide sizes would be a plus.

So that’s my story, any ideas are welcome!

Comments

• Atom Pro Fitness skate 110 or 125 lightweight

Rollerblade endurance 110 or 125 best quality

Powerslide Marathon 110 or 125 strong frame and frame placement

For my needs I want to be able to go fast but still whip through the city in between cars so the biggest I really want to go with a frame as 11.6 so I'm either piecing together a skate possibly using the atom Pro Fitness for 150 and a 3X 110 or 3x100 or 3x 100 / 1x90 bont high low

If you want a new 4x90 look at the powerslide phusion.

There's also the seba Trix 2 skates you might be able to hunt down 4x90

I pretty much have the entire inline skate Market memorize ask me whatever I don't have much experience though with the newest products

• Thank you!!

I’m excited to try out some 125mm wheels, I’m thinking they’ll eat up road chatter better than my 90mm set up. I’m open to three or four wheels, I’m in Chicago and yes it’s a city, but it’s a LOT more spacious than NY (I lived in Manhattan for a bit, I think I’ll stick with my bike in NY!) And I’m not very concerned about maneuverability. More the all day boot comfort, decent support, speed, and some ability to get over concrete expansion joints etc.

Is there any benefit to a 4 wheel over a 3 wheel set up? It looks like the three would be just as fast and glide just as well, and be one wheel lighter, with a shorter frame? Why go with 4 in the taller wheel sizes?

I like the look of the RB Endurance Pro 125’s...

• For rough surface I like 4x110 better. Less sticking to cracks in roads. With 3x125 you have keep eyes open, before you know you are laying on ground.

For best control:speed ( agressive speed skating) I like 4x100.

I had endurance pro, build quality very well. Fast wheels and bearings.

But don't like the concept semi speed boot, as it not heatmoldable. You have to get some luck,when skating without cuffs. Or you will get a loose fit. Anyway with cuff off they are still high boots.

From The Netherlands

• hmmm...

I didn’t realize the Rollerblades had that removable cuff. I don’t like the idea, seems like trying to be two things in one skate would add a lot of complication. I am set on a tri-skate in a 125 wheel though. I might put a smaller wheel in at first, and work up to the 125...

I found a pair of the power slides marathon 125mm in a 2018 model on sale, I like the triangulated mounting system, and they seem to be a little wider than average in the toes.

is 340.00 an ok price for that model?

THANK YOU for the insight guys, it’s making the selection process a lot easier!

• edited August 2020

Just aware of Powerslide trinity system, very small margins of adjustment. And it is not that low they advertised! So I sent it back when hought Powerslide Puls trinity.

I like standard mounting system better more choice, more adjustment, cheaper.

Also when choosing for Powerslide get the version with laces, not that stupid metal cable system.

From The Netherlands

• I found a pair of 2018 power slide VI Marathon on eBay, very lightly used, and I won the auction at 285.00. Then with tax and shipping it’s almost as much as the new pair on sale for $340.00 but I still did pretty ok.

Then I kept searching and was able to find the K2 Radical axle kit!! So I’m going to be able to resurrect my old skates after all! I’ll have a 4x90 beater set up, and a new(ish) 3x125 go fast set up.

And looking at my K2’s they look like they have a removable frame, So I could possibly get that frame on a newer boot, or otherwise salvage that pair. The boot has some cosmetic tearing of the synthetic leather surrounding the buckles... I’ll get a picture up in a second...

• Old and new

0F99D032-E024-4BF1-BFFB-9B1EA64C3F50.jpeg
    3024 x 4032 - 2M
    1828729A-5502-4FA6-812B-F63CBA0BC2DC.jpeg
    3024 x 4032 - 3M
    EBBDCC24-9AD8-4BC3-87D1-A678555D844C.png
    1242 x 2208 - 7M
  • Yes if your has same mountings holes length.

From The Netherlands

• My new used powerslides came in tonight! They have the two bolt mounting system, which I’m not actually too disappointed with, if that means more universal compatibility.

But THE FIT!! They are more comfortable than my Radicals!! The fit is perfect. And when I bought the Rad’s I ordered several sizes, and kept the best fitting ones. My feet must match the Powerslides last better. I took a chance, just ordering a pair of 11’s and hoping for the best, but it REALLY paid off.

2A29ED1B-EEA2-4C86-90F1-14EAD297EFDE.jpeg
    3024 x 4032 - 2M
  • I thought so it is 2 point mount system when looked at your first picture.

Good to hear it is good fit, but just keep in mind in will loose a little a bit when breaking in.

I hope you will enjoy 3x15mm, because it needs more technique, strength and smooth road.

Have fun!

From The Netherlands

• If I need to practice technique some more, I got the K2’s up and running! The axles came in, and the wheels are successfully rotated and installed.

So it turned out the best of both worlds I think, the 4x90mm set up for some urban commuting, and tearing up the rough stuff, and now a pair of 3x125mm for hitting the MUPs and getting in some weekend workouts.

I’m loving the new skates, and excited to salvage my old pair. 👍👍

668A5EFE-B2B4-49EA-809A-3524FB9FFC7F.jpeg
    3024 x 4032 - 3M
  • Good to hear mate, good luck with those.

Looks new :-)

From The Netherlands