Big problem with Chicagoland's 2020 Race Date

https://allcommunityevents.com/chicagoinlinemarathon

Ignore what it says on the top. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click "Show All".

The Chicagoland Inline Marathon is scheduled for June 21, 2020. Registration isn't set yet.

I wonder if these people are aware that they scheduled a skate race the day after Apostle? There are a lot of skaters who like to do both races, but in the same year, not the same weekend. Both races will lose participants with Chicagoland being the biggest loser.

Thoughts?

Illinois USA

Comments

• Similar: New York is the day after Rollin' on the River

• The Chicago date would be rough for Chicago. Will all the Chicago skaters even skip Apostle (the best race out there IMO)? Years ago, Big Granite (Ashland, WI) and a race near Portage, WI were on back to back days and some of us did both pretty easily. I've looked at doing both this year, but the extra distance (and a ferry ride) makes it near impossible.

I saw someone on FB claiming Apostle is in trouble due to the CVirus, but I think it was purely speculation from a know-it-all type. If it becomes an issue as the date approaches, we could lose over half the biggest marathons (Apostle, Chicago, DC, Connecticut). What's left? Montreal and Duluth on back to back weekends and Rollin', NY100, A2A, St. Louis. Is that all we have left for 26+ miles anymore? Ouch.

Rollin' and NY100 has limited overlap (ese002 and HerbG). I totally get the frustration with the conflict, but I understand NY doing what is best for itself in this case. If it makes NY stronger, then it is what is best for skating.

• Yikes... I'm not sure who's organizing the Chicago race anymore, but it's still a combo run and skate race right? I'm guessing the organizer probably favors running and doesn't take other skate events into account when planning. I wonder if it's worth sending a message, although it's probably too late now.

• Yes, they have a running half marathon on Saturday and the skate races on Sunday. That part hasn't changed. It's an Amita Health System event that is managed by All Community Events whose president is Peter Starykowicz who I'm sure you recognize as a past A2A winner. I'm going to send them an e-mail and see if I can find out what;s going on with this bizarre race date.

Illinois USA

• I guess the real question is, will either event happen this year?

• Both will probably happen. The current speculation in Illinois is that we will be over the hump by the end of April, have a continuous downward trend in new cases, most cases will be identified and isolated, and Pritzker will lift his "stay at home/quedo en casa" order.

The real question for me is will I be ready in June? My supra ventricular tachycardia has really been messing with my training and I'm having trouble getting a heart ablation because my hospital happens to be in Cook County. I might try to get the procedure done in a hospital that isn't in a COVID-19 hot spot if I don't hear from them soon.

Just being positive and doing the best I can. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going put some music on and jump on my slide board!

Illinois USA

• No one knows for sure how this will develop, but I agree with Jim. Apostle already has 78 online registrations and have not listed mail-in regs like mine (they haven't cashed the check either, which does make me wonder a little). Unlike Chicago, Apostle does not have to worry about a registration wash-out if people are wary of a race congregation.

• Apostle cancelled today. They were concerned with having out of owners coming into the area and bringing the virus.

• I found this curious statement on the Ashland Chamber of Commerce website concerning the race....

" It’s around 375 skaters with about 60% from the Midwest, but there is another 40% that are from other areas in the country. We felt it may be too soon to host an event that has national participation. "

OK, so by that reasoning, why not hold the race only for we Midwesterners who seem to be alright with them and leave the other 40% out this year? 🤤

Now seriously, whoever wrote that wasn't thinking clearly. We have plenty of hot spots in the Midwest too. After all, they're closing their beaches for smelting which takes place towards the end of April plus more closings to be announced soon.

I suppose I shouldn't blame them for being cautious. Ashland and Bayfield are rural counties far removed from the metro hot spots which is why they so far are little affected by the virus and want to keep it that way if possible. Even though the metros are expected to be well over the hump by June, the virus won't be extinct and I'm sure that hundreds of skaters from all over the continent descending upon their town would be rather unsettling to the locals.

"Closing their borders" will hurt the many whose livelihood depends on summer tourism but better to be alive facing financial hurdles than dead with no worries.

Bless their hearts.

Illinois USA

• Yup, I totally agree. Sounds to me that the cabin owners that hate all the out of towners took the virus as an opportunity to get their way at the expense of the tourist dependent businesses. I won't say what I'm really thinking, but I wonder what this decision will look like in hindsight.

• Yeah, it seems they're so dead set against holding this race that they wouldn't do it even if we all pledged to spend our entire stimulus checks while we're there.

In stark contrast, All Community Events {ACE} which manages Chicagoland, has a running race on May 10 which they havn't cancelled yet. Here's what it says on their website:

"Dear Runners,

We appreciate your patience and understanding as we navigate the current COVID-19 situation. The health and safety of our participants, volunteers, vendors, community and team members is our top priority as we continue to monitor the situation.

Please know, it is still our goal to host the Barrington Mother’s Day 5K on May 10th in the safest possible manner. At this time, we believe that it is too early to make any decision regarding the event. We also realize that many of our athletes travel in from out of town. **Therefore, we are committed to communicating our decision regarding hosting or postponing the event by April 17th (3 weeks prior to the event).**

We will stay in touch via email with any official updates. As we all work to self quarantine and follow CDC guidelines to help stop the spread of this virus, we encourage you to continue prioritizing your own health and well-being in these difficult times.

Stay safe and happy running,

Peter Starykowicz

President"

Now let's put this in perspective; Barrington is in Cook County which has reported 8034 cases as of today to Ashland County's one and their hospitals and mortuaries are overwhelmed. This race is scheduled a month and a half before Apostle and yet ACE thinks it's too early to make any decisions regarding the race. WOW! What will either one of these decisions look like in hindsight?😨

Illinois USA

• I got this in my e-mail yesterday:

info <info@allcommunityevents.com>

Mon, Apr 6, 2:08 PM (19 hours ago)

Hi Jim, 

Thanks for reaching out to us as we know you have skated the event for many years. At this venue there are 11 entities we have to coordinate with in order to get a date and so in this case we are just at the mercy of coordinating with all parties and this was the date that all could make work. The good news though is the venue has a new owner which will bring a lot of revamping to the venue ultimately making for a better event of the coming years.

Happy Running (6 ft. apart!), 

Marybeth S.

AllCommunityEvents.com

OK, so now we know it wasn't a website mistake and it'a a done deal. I wonder if "revamping" includes new pavement? That would be nice. The important thing is continuing to support this race so we can keep it.

Illinois USA

• Getting back to the original problem, there isn't a conflict anymore. I haven't been to the Chicagoland race in years, but have heard the course adjustments are a positive. From my standpoint, I'm looking for a decent number of pro masters skaters. There were only 11 "elite" division skaters last year.

• Hopefully the Chicago race can survive until improvements are made. In the mean time, they are building new buildings on the property and the pavement has taken a pounding from the construction equipment. Last year was a disaster with the rain, mud, sand and broken pavement. I am a pretty faithful supporter of this event but at some point I will have to quit attending if the conditions get any more dangerous.

• The website now lists the race as 2021. There is a cryptic message that indicate it has been cancelled for this year: "While we would love to be putting on this event for you in a few short weeks, we are looking forward to next year when the environment is much safer. For those of you who are trained up and ready to run, please check out some of our virtual runs below."

• That's sad, but no surprise since there are some running races in the area that were scheduled for July that are already being cancelled.

Oh well, 10 weeks, 6 days, 18 hours, 13 minutes and 45 seconds until the Minnesota Half. Hopefully the powers-that-be will have this Kung Flu thing under control by then so that race will be a go.

Illinois USA