Why are wheels on 3-wheeled inlines so big?

According to what I read, three-wheeled inlines are eclipsing four-wheeled inlines in popularity. One video says that they take cracks and pebbles in the pavement better. Sounds good to me. I'd like to try them. But why do the wheels have to be so big? Can I, as an intermediate 4 X 80mm skater who tried 4 X 84mm's and didn't particularly care for the up-the-air feeling I got, get used to those 110mm wheels? Why do they have to be so big?

Comments

• Same answer as before. Taller wheels carry more top speed than smaller wheels, and they roll over bumps and other surface imperfections more easily. If the wheels are smaller, more wheels per frame will offer better grip and greater stability. Since tall wheels grip better and roll over stuff more easily, you need fewer wheels.

Yes, you can get used to them if you just spend more time skating in them.

This is my signature.

• This question is sort of backwards. Three wheel skates only exist because of big wheels. The design is actually a negative vs four wheel skates with a singular exception: it allows for a reasonable frame length when using large wheels.

• I see. Well, thanks retro and ese.