Pivot pin cups for Pilot Falcon plates

I recently fitted new cushions to my Falcon Pilot plates and realised I might need to attend to the pivot pin cups - see attached photo. Some plate brands have plastic/urethane/rubber pin cups, but upon inspection of my Falcon Pilots, they look like worn out metal cups, or they have no additional cup inserted at all. I asked myself, what are they supposed to have?

In the photo, the lighting on the left pin cup is deceptive - it is metal, not plastic of some kind. When I removed the king pins (see centre-bottom pic) they look like either a metal inserted cup worn through, or is that just a sleeve on the main frame and there is no additional cup at all?

After further searching online, I found a shop selling, you guessed it, Pilot Falcon Pivot Cups! So what I have is a metal sleeve being worn slowly away because whatever cups were in there, they've long since been chewed out. With fine tolerances on quality plates, I assume it is important to get these pin cups sorted.

Pin_Cups_Pilot-Falcon-F16-Plates.jpg
2888 x 1634 - 5M

Comments

• I originally posted this asking for advice, before working out the solution - my bad. However i see no "delete" on the topic, so had to modify the post to suit.

• You called it correctly. Like many soft parts on quad sk8s, those wear and should be replaced as needed.

• Update: I found from the guy i bought the plates from that these pin cups are actually metal, installed by a Fitter. So soon they will probably be removed and original "plastic" ones reinstalled.

• Good plan. Metal cups are a "great" idea, from back in the day. I wonder why Roll Line chose to go with Delrin??

• My guess is that delrin parts are cheaper and are slick and wouldn't need lubrication. Pictures of what they looked like new are attached.

The ones in the OP's picture look like they were buzzed out of aluminum rod with a ball mill.

IMG_0457.jpg
    480 x 640 - 164K
    IMG_0456.jpg
    480 x 640 - 161K
  • Makes sense. I have been know to enlarge the holes in certain Delrin cups with the afore mentioned ball mill.