Twitchy squirelie skates....what to do??

Hi people,

I've pulled out my old skates from 20 years ago. They are old beat up skates, couple of slight bent axels,worn nylon pivot pin, Im also beat up an old with a damaged hip from a motor bike accident a long time ago, now have a slight swagger / limp when walking. I guess this could also have something to do with issue.

Ive gone round the block couple of times, realised I'm out of shape lol. The worst part is they felt very squirelie under me when going fast on the front trucks mainly, didn't notice or feel the rears feeling squirelie.

Now is that because I'm heavier now an need to upgrade bushes to stiffer ones?

Not at one with my skates confidence wise, over compensating an it showing as squirelie front trucks.

Or is my weight nothing to do with it an the bushes are aged and need replacing. Didn't think polyurethane degrades though, wheels are poly krypto cruisers an still feel lovely an grippy if slightly discoloured.

Thinking it's more to do with my weight and confidence...old equipment probably not helping a little bit.

I did tighten the king pin bushes up a half turn but they arnt loose an it didn't make any difference to the squirel feeling.

Do I persevere with current skates an bushes see if twitchyness goes as I re-acquaint myself with skates ?

Or replace parts an start afresh? (Think I'd need a new plate and trucks as the ones fitted on skates (pro 8 nylon plates) are no longer made).

Also considering a whole new set up, boots that fit better, new plates an trucks etc an start again.

I do remember feeling very comfortable on my skates even with slight bend in axels an worn pivots, we grew an wore in together I guess.

Any help, advise, suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks Dan

Comments

• edited April 2020

Wouldn't hurt to try to tighten the front trucks more (without pancaking the cushions). I would say it feels squirrely due to the bent axles, worn pivot cups, and your balance/ confidence in leaning forward enough to get weight on the front axles. Perfect storm for instability. It sounds like you've skated quite a bit over the years, so I wouldn't be surprised if you adjusted to them again with more practice. With that said, having a previous hip injury, I think the safe bet would be to buy new or good used skates. Lots of good deals on used equipment out there.

• Update.....Well I bought new cloud bushes and cups to hold bushes. I went for blue barel 93a hardness on the top skate side and yellow 85a barrel on bottom road side. Bought some conical yellow to which I haven't tried yet. It feels more responsive with a little less effort from me.

So the squirrely feeling has now virtualy gone, I carried on skating old set up for 2-3 weeks and now 1 week on new bushes. May try the conical bushes in a few more weeks once got few more hours back under my belt.

I will definitely get some new boots and plates once money is flowing again through my bank once I can work again. The old boots are heavy, I'm heavier an not as strong in the legs like when I was 16 lol. Need some lighter better fitting boots and plates 🤑

• Wow .Cloud cushions havent heard of those for a long time

Altamuras