Edea Suono boot sizing question

Hello! I am looking to upgrade my rec skate set up (currently on the Moxi Lolly) to a stiffer boot so I can advance my jumps. I was looking at the Edea Suono for price purposes (my skate shop of choice will mount them to a plate of my choosing for a reasonable fee) but the sizing is not particularly straightforward.

Other people have suggested that the Edea might not be good for me because I have sort of high arches/instep but I always wear insoles regardless (even in my Riedell 495s I wear superfeet) so I was wondering if there was something else about the boot that made it bad for people with high arches? If it's just really flat that doesn't strike me as much of a problem but if it's to do with the rest of the boot maybe it is...

However in terms of sizing I measured my feet according to their online guidelines and got 245~ mm but all the size comparison charts say that is like a women's size 6 in US which is soo not my size at all.. (For reference I'm a women's size 8) - so I'm just kind of confused.

If anyone has used Edea boots for figure skating on roller could you please let me know your opinions on it? I am interested in it because it would be about a $300 savings from my other option which is Riedell 336 + CustomColorLab. Riedell is probably going to be my ultimate choice since the sizing will be easier to determine as I've worn Riedell before... But I am really curious about Edea and would like to know what people think of their boots for roller/quad skates.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• I think you've asked this in the wrong part of the forum - unless DocSk8 has suddenly become an art boot expert without me realising? If so, I apologize for barging in!

Fwiw, my feet measure 246 mm (just about fit into my sz. 6 Lollies) and I wear a 255 (EU 38) in my Edea Classica. My second thought on this is going from a Lolly - a boot that has little more support than a sock, none at all compared to art boots - to a seriously rigid art boot with a stiffness rating of 70 is ambitious! Without even trying on various art boots in advance, it seems completely crazy to me.

• edited February 2021

Thank you for your input!! I probably did post this in the wrong forum entirely. I guess I was confused. I will try to edit this... *edit looks like i can't edit the original post anymore. If a mod sees this and has the ability to move it to the appropriate spot I would appreciate it, thank you!

I want to switch to a higher stiffness because the Lollys with their total lack of support have my ankles absolutely screaming and leave me unable to feel confident practicing artistic skating. I prefer the stiffness of my ice skating boots and wanted to look for something similar to that feel which is why I started looking at Edea!

Thank you again for your help

• edited February 2021

You're welcome!

You don't need as rigid a boot for roller skating as for ice skating, though, even when doing artistic stuff, I'd say. Even something in the 40 stiffness range is already going to be much, much more supportive than what you have now. Even my Classica (rated at 30) are already night & day compared to my Lollies or my Jacks. To me 70 says double or even triple jumps, but I may be wrong on the triples 😉.

And I'd really recommend you try on different boots before deciding, different brands, too, even if you have to place orders for them all and send back the ones that don't fit well (that's what I did, even though I already had a rough idea from trying some Edeas & Risports on in shops).

• The Suono is specifically for compulsory long figures. I would not do freestyle in them, but you probably can. I would recommend an Edea Overture for something cheaper, Chorus like an ice boot, or Edea Roller Fly. Riedell is awful for artistic skating, they're too soft and very outdated so I avoid them. Risport also has some decent boot options like the Ambra Pro.

• I have a flat foot, so it's really hard to tell what's gonna work for you. I went from a Reidell Juice to Edea Classica, and it was the best thing I ever did. The problem going to a 70 stiffness is that you may mess up your ankle. That's why I'd recommend the Classica (especially coming from a Moxi). I jump, spin, do figures and everything else in those (I only jump a few times a week). I skate for up to 14 hours some weeks and they are holding up nicely. I paired mine with a Matrix Steel plate with grey cushions on the bottom and green cushions on the top and OH MY WORD. Those skates are like an extension of my body. They feel so natural. They really make spinning easy.

If the sizing bothers you. Go to Skates US Website. Trace your foot on a piece of paper. Send it through snail mail and they will send you a boot. Try it on and wear it around. I put a plastic bag over mine something soft on the sole wore them all day.

If the size is wrong, you can send them back and they will send you the next size. Then, when you get a pair that fits, you can send them back in and have them mounted.

• DO NOT do freestyle with an Edea Classica. I had one for dance but now use a Flamenco, it's a super soft boot and will not work for freestyle unless you are a true beginner. It would be very iffy for me even on something easy like a single axel. The Matrix Steel however is great for freestyle, definitely a recommended plate from me. The Stiffer Edea boots won't do anything to your ankle, the tongue is not like a traditional one and even with the stiffer boots it will still allow you to bend as it should.

• Why do you need stiff boots for artistic skating? I never really understood how a stiffer boot helps with jumps. Does it help "concentrate force"/"direct force" or something like that?

FTR, I've never rolled an ankle when dancing.

• Helps with your boot with not bending and collapsing under the pressure of your foot jumping, and also helps you with the landing to keep you upright with all the force coming down on one foot. Also stops your ankle from going in weird positions when you land wrong and end up falling.

Also helps with high speed travel camels and sit spins, the boot doesn't deform as you're pressing.

• Becomes especially relevant in competitive artistic freestyle with doubles/triple jumps and higher speed travel camels with class A features like the broken ankle/heel/inverted positions.

• Oof, okay - this gives me a lot to consider.

I appreciate everyone's input. Unfortunately I do not have the option to try anything on. All shops are closed due to COVID. Another thing is that since the setup will be custom (I am getting a different plate, and all Edea boots ordered are custom when placed online - and I will be buying from a reseller) nothing that I purchase at this time will be refundable. Hence why I am seeking opinions. In an ideal world I would try on a bunch of boots and choose the best based on personal fit but that is just not an option right now.

I want a stiffer boot for ankle support. I am worried because someone here mentioned that Riedell is not good for artistic and I was just about to go forward with the 336 boot with Custom ColorLab because I have gotten feedback that Edea is not good for people with high arches/instep. So now I sort of feel stuck, like I am back at square 1 because if Riedell isn't good for artistic and Edea isn't good for people with higher arches then maybe neither of them are good for me.

One other option is Golden Horse artistic skates - I have a friend who is now a brand ambassador for them and has a 10% off discount code I can use so I wouldn't mind looking further into that but I also haven't seen her skate in them yet and she hasn't gotten back to me with her skating feedback for them. If anyone here has those and uses them for artistic please let me know, I would love to hear your feedback. The good thing about them is their sizing is very comprehensive and they have a whole process (including requests for pictures and boot history explanations) so my friend said they fit well and she felt confident when purchasing online.

• Glad everyone is on top of this. Truly, arty boots are outside my wheelhouse. Looks like some reasonable advice. Let me drop in a couple of things. 1) if you have worn Riedells before, were they properly sized to begin with?? They are not supposed to fit like street shoes if you want performance. 2) Always accept other peoples advice on fit with a grain of salt. They are talking about their feet and what they like in a fit. I have probably told this story before, but here I go again. Had a customer come into the shop and absolutely knew what he wanted down to the size.. He said 11. I said lets' check, and had to twist his arm to get him in the Brannock. He was a 9C. I let him try some of my personal sk8s on and he was really happy we did not go with the 11s. Good luck getting this sorted.

• edited February 2021

Thank you for weighing in. I know fit is very much a personal thing so I am definitely struggling during this time of COVID where I can't try anything on and can't go into any shops to see the product. I put off purchasing for all of last year (pretty much have needed a new setup for the past 6mos) due to not being able to try anything on but it's starting to feel like I can't put it off any longer. Maybe I can. I don't know. I will reassess the situation as this is proving to be a trial in and of itself...

I am pretty sure my original Riedell 495s were sized properly because I spent a long time in the shop getting fitted - I was in roller derby at the time and there was a great local shop. They mount all their own boots and they are pros at fitting. The only thing is.... That was almost 10 years ago. I don't think my feet have changed too much but I also did stop wearing them a few years ago when I quit derby. For the Moxi sizing I think I ended up going up in size actually and I wear insoles with them. They fit fine but who knows if they are supposed to be tighter or if I would benefit from them being the same size as my original Riedell 495s. * I plan to still order from this shop as their pricing is reasonable and their mounting fees are low. But they are in MA and I am in CA so there is no opportunity to return them and it would be unreasonable to order a boot and send it back for mounting if they fit or go through that whole back and forth. (Shipping cost alone would be insane.)

At this point I am curious about Edea sizing but pretty nervous to order them without trying anything on. Luckily I do think I have pretty strong ankles so maybe I can hold out a little while longer. However, even if the skate shops in the area all re-opened I would encounter another problem... The pro shop at Yerba Buena would be my best bet but I am not quite sure that they carry Edeas in stock (even for sizing purposes) and I don't have a car to go to any other shops. Sigh.

• This is something that another person who was in your position has to say ->

Full disclosure: I'm a beginner artistic skater.

note: stiffness rating e.g. Lockheart (25) would be a Lockheart boot with a stiffness rating of "25."

It sounds like your biggest setback is sizing.  I have a pair of Golden Horse Street Nobles which are absolutely lovely.  I didn't order a particular size, I sent them measurements (instructions on their site) and they figured out what size/width I was.  Turns out, my left foot is a 2D and my right is a 2.5D, so my boots are made just for my feet.  For reference, I am a 6.5-7 in US women's and my left foot is about a half-size smaller (very annoying).

I don’t know what your level of skating is, but the stiffness of Suonos (70) sounds more suited for someone doing doubles (double axel jumps).  I see many beginner artistic skaters get Edea Rondo's(35) with Roll Line Variant plates.  I was particularly attracted by the pretty colors and custom sizing so I decided to go with with Golden Horse. I was considering that exact setup as a backup.  If you wanted to go stiffer, you could consider the GH Maestro; inline figure skaters seem to like that boot, which comes on the GH Vanguard plate for quads.  That was out of my budget and skill level so I got Nobles (40) which with an Instagram code like someone else here mentioned, was $575. This was recommended to me by Kim Manning, a fantastic artistic skater.

A quick review -> http://imgur.com/a/wssCVYy

My GH boot -> https://imgur.com/a/GFcd8tx

Skate stiffness -> http://imgur.com/a/qALWw59

From softest to hardest (including your Lolly's): Moonlight Roller Safety Dance, Moxi Lollys, Moxi Jacks, Harlicks (broken in), Nobles (mostly broken in), Nobles (brand new).  If you're just on Lollys now, Nobles would be plenty safe for single jumps, but word of warning the jump (pun intended) in stiffness will be a big adjustment.  I think it's so worth the adjustment period.  I could talk about these skates all day, so if you have any questions about GH, DM me on Reddit; my username is meekmelkor. https://www.reddit.com/user/Meekmelkor/

TL;DR : GH has semi-custom sizing, it's great.

GH front.jpeg
    3024 x 4032 - 2M
    GH side.jpeg
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
    GH bottom.jpeg
    4032 x 3024 - 1M
  • edited February 2021

I was about to say Golden Horse and their semi-custom boots seem to be your only or your best option in this situation, but that last pic looks as if they mount their quads like inlines. Now I'm not an art skater but this is not something I'd want for myself.

(Pretty sure your Edea size is the same as mine, because our foot measurements are very close - if you really want to go that route! I still think it's risky! Fwiw I've repeatedly been fitted in artistic skating shops for both Edea and Risport (same sizing system) and I think my true Moxi or Riedell size is a 6.5.)

• For a sizing anecdote I wear a size 9 in Riedell 911s, 395s, 220s, 297s, 336, etc. and and a size 280 in Edea and Risport. Again Suonos are for LONG FIGURES. GH is basically a Chinese Edea, but actually more expensive to get a Maestro than something like an Ice Fly.

I think it's important to get your level of skating though. I am not sure what kind of items you'd be doing to require something that stiff.

• Insoles play a vital role in protecting one’s feet from potential injuries and can even alleviate pressure and pain. While most skate shoe brands speak highly of the insoles that come with their shoes, they often fall short of expectations.