Do You Wear Socks When You Skate?

Do you wear socks when you skate?

If you do - what kind do you prefer?

I you don't wear socks - why not?

Comments

• edited April 2020

Yes, always. In artistic skating I don't know anyone that currently doesn't use socks. We use thin socks though, nothing too bulky. Usually it is to prevent chafing by the high top boots.

I prefer to use puma/addidas athletic socks but it really doesn't matter much what you use as long as the fit is comfortable to you. Full cotton socks seem to provide better grip in the boot but I don't like wearing them as they're not as comfortable.

• edited April 2020

Yes, always. In my quads, I wear two pairs of very thin cool-max or wicking socks. This eliminates hot spots, because the socks rub each other, instead of your skin.

For my inline speed skates, I wear a single cool-max or wicking sock and an ultra-thin Ezee-fit ankle bootie for the same reason as above.

I've learned that thick er or cotton socks create more friction and act like sandpaper against your skin and create hot spots and blisters. If you need a thicker sock, use a wicking sock as a liner.

Indoor Inline: Pinnacle Full Customs | Junk Fury 4x110 | TLTF/Simmons Wheels | NMB

Outdoor Inline: Simmons Full Customs | Junk Fury 4x110 | Junk Wheels | NMB

Quads: Reidell 911 | Roll-Line Giotto | Corey Super-Ds/JG Hubs/B-Skater 71mm Outdoor | Bones Swiss/NMB

• Snowman, thanks, I'm gonna try out some of those Cool-max socks. Socks are so important.

• edited May 2020

I used to use socks, but discovered that I received more abrasion/blisters with them. A sweaty foot has more friction against a skate than a sock, even in cold weather. I do use thin EZ fits, which protect a portion of the foot.

• Yup I use socks to get in the boots. Yup any loose layer, will cause movement and friction.

From The Netherlands

• I do wear socks. I have on rare occasions skated barefoot. I have to admit, the control and road feel are better. However, there is a cost. Skating barefoot produces nearly toxic stench. My skates get smelly enough with socks. I think I would need to buy some pollution offset credits if I were to skate barefoot.

I do not use booties, like EZ-fit. Even the thinnest booties add mushiness to the heel area, right where I want the most firm hold.

Socks also have another benefit. Feet swell when hot and contract when cold. Since boots don't, fit varies with temperature. I tend to wear thicker socks in winter and in the morning than I do in summer and evening. This helps normalize fit.

My socks are mostly a continually evolving set of the thinnest cycling socks available that still have grip. The very thinnest cycling socks, notably Wigwam's Triathlon socks, are too slippery to offer good control.

Castelli Rosso Corsa's work best with my Simmons but cause topside toe abrasion issues when used in my Pinnacles. With the Pinncales I prefer Louis Garneu Tuscan's. They are not as grippy as the Corsas but they also don't snag on the Pinnacles' low roof.

Sock Guy's are also excellent but only when it is cold or the socks are nearly worn out. Otherwise, they are too thick. In several years, my goto race socks with nearly threadbare Sock Guy socks.

All of this is with speed skates. For the twisters, I just use plain, smooth (unribbed). cotton socks. If I used them for more than Friday Night Skate, I might be more particular.

• Same here when using cycling or running socks too much movement! After been using tall compression socks problem gone! Just two problems: very thin sensitive for fast wear and high selling price.

From The Netherlands

• I do wear socks. I have on rare occasions skated barefoot. I have to admit, the control and road feel are better. However, there is a cost. Skating barefoot produces nearly toxic stench. My skates get smelly enough with socks. I think I would need to buy some pollution offset credits if I were to skate barefoot.

I do not use booties, like EZ-fit. Even the thinnest booties add mushiness to the heel area, right where I want the most firm hold.

Socks also have another benefit. Feet swell when hot and contract when cold. Since boots don't, fit varies with temperature. I tend to wear thicker socks in winter and in the morning than I do in summer and evening. This helps normalize fit.

My socks are mostly a continually evolving set of the thinnest cycling socks available that still have grip. The very thinnest cycling socks, notably Wigwam's Triathlon socks, are too slippery to offer good control.

Castelli Rosso Corsa's work best with my Simmons but cause topside toe abrasion issues when used in my Pinnacles. With the Pinncales I prefer Louis Garneu Tuscan's. They are not as grippy as the Corsas but they also don't snag on the Pinnacles' low roof.

Sock Guy's are also excellent but only when it is cold or the socks are nearly worn out. Otherwise, they are too thick. In several years, my goto race socks with nearly threadbare Sock Guy socks.

All of this is with speed skates. For the twisters, I just use plain, smooth (unribbed). cotton socks. If I used them for more than Friday Night Skate, I might be more particular.

• Lol.. I know quite a few National Champs that dont wear socks. As mentioned above... there skates after a season need to be condemed.....

I wear socks, I have tried a lot of different ones , but have been wearing the Reebock white calf length sock for the past 2 seasons..... I dont think that they are 100% cotton, but they hold up really nice to my skating.

I also use cedar shoe inserts in my skates so they dont shrink all that much after getting beat on during practice.

• I wear low-cut Nike socks.

• edited July 2020

In my derby skates, no. I slid around more when I did, so I bought this pair skin tight and heat molded to fit like a glove. In my outdoor quads, which are the same brand but a half size bigger to wear with socks, yes. I like the sweat wicking and extra cushion on long, hot rolls.

• Socks must be worn when playing roller skating shoes. High-waisted socks are the best, because when sliding, the feet will rub against the inside of the shoes, causing sweating or injury.

For hygiene and safety, you must wear suitable socks to play roller skating. .