The vanathane thread

I've heard a lot about the old school vanathane wheels. That they slide and stick, don't change shape (cone) etc. Sounds like the perfect wheel by many accounts. Imagine me asking every possible question about vanathane wheels and pass on your experiences.

• Is there tech (technique) that can be done best/easily on vanathanes as opposed to other materials?
  • Are vanathane wheels overrated?/Is it worth owning vanathane wheels?
  • How much should a set of 8 cost in your opinion?
  • Are there modern equivalents for vanathane wheels that perform like you would expect them to?
  • How do they wear over time?
  • Do they need to be cleaned? 🙃

Comments

• From what I've seen fibers are better for actually sliding, they seem to be considered middle of the road wheels when it comes to sliding and grip. I think they are overrated and the cost is so high just because they aren't available new. From sets I've seen on ebay they definitely cone.

• I still have some Vanathane wheels from 40 Years ago (All American Plus and dreams). They still look and feel great, but I wouldn't exactly call them sliders; maybe if you're on a very slick floor, but even then they won't slide like fiberglass or even premiers.

I love them, but then sliding isn't really my thing. I like wheels with less grip, but not to the point of ridiculousness :-) I like to be able to push off and actually get somewhere!