Do you have a Cushions Preferance for roller dancing?

Relatively new skater here, crossing over from a background of skateboarding, long boarding, surfing and snowboarding. In my longboards, custom bushings are a necessisity and vary for application. Is this the case for roller dancing? Do you prefer a certain combo, ie barrel/barrel, barrel/cone, etc.? If so, please stare and for what type of dancing.

Regards,

Tony

Comments

• My dance style is a fusion of slalom and rhythm. I prefer harder cushions on the boot that I naturally articulate more with and softer cushions on the other. I need to maintain the ability to steer while skating sideways so I can transition into other movements. At the same time I need a little more stability to be able to spin on my heels. If both boots had softer cushions, two-foot spins would be unnecessarily challenging.

• Thanks, do you run barrels boot and floor side?

regards,

Tony

• I really only dance on my skates. Mostly rhythm skating. I REALLY REALLY REALLy prefer soft cushions. My upper cushion is SOFT and my lower cushion is EXTRA soft. I can turn on a dime, get DEEP edges, and spinning seems easier. Oh yes slalom is also my life, I came over from 30 years of slalom inline. So I do that almost weekly on quads now. Soft is the way to go.

• Oh yeah, what do you mean by barrels? Barrel Rolls???

• Hi,

Thanks! I meant the shape of the Cushions. Just like longboards and skateboards trucks, the Cushions/Bushings come in various durometers/hardness AND Shapes for different levels of stability/response.

my Sure Grip Avenger Plates/Trucks use a barrel(boot side) and a cone(road side). My sure grip Rock Plates/Trucks use barrels top and bottom.

regards,

Tony

• I'm on an Arius Platinum plate for the 45° angle. The cushions are different on the Arius Platinum.

My other skates have a Powerdyne Thrust plate; the cushions might be permanently compressed and waiting to break. I don't know that the shape they started as.

• Oh, I hear great things about the Arius plates. Do you like it? Is the cushion system hard?

• Bboyheaven,

Cool, good to hear the 45 degree plates are fine for dancing!

Regards,

Tony

• @Schpanky, I'll do an in-depth review of my setup and preferences some time in the future when my body knows how the setup holds up and responds to my skating style (maybe 1y from now). I'll review the 111 set-up soon since I have a good understanding of where the set-up sits with respect to my skating. If I can get different cushions for it, I will pause for ~2-3 months before writing about it.

• Soft bushings offer enhanced flexibility when turning or carving in. Hard bushings are usually categorized within 96A and up. These bushings give you unmatched stability but are far less responsive for turning. On the other hand, soft bushings work best for lighter riders who need added flexibility and freedom of movement when turning and carving in. These bushings are also designed to compress easily for faster rebounds and extra energetic rides.