Basic Roller Dancing - Does the type of plate and toe stop really matter?

Curious as to whether type of plate, aluminum vs. nylon, or the type of toe stop, non adjustable vs. adjustable makes that much of a difference for one getting into roller dance(not jam skating) and developing beginner to intermediate skills. Let’s assume one is putting jam plugs in the plates.

I watch videos of roller dancing on YouTube and see that most use plates with adjustable toe stops with a mix of aluminum and nylon plates...yet there are some with what look like rental skates with fixed toe stops in place that dance really well.

Regards,

Tony

Comments

• You can dance on anything you're comfortable with. You mean like rhythm skating, or like fancy type figure skating?

If you mean rhythm, then you can pretty much skate on anything that you feel comfortable. The toe-stop is going to limit your moves for sure. Either Jam Plug or plate with NTS (no toe stop) is the way to go.

Nylon plates are okay, if it's all you can afford, but they're not going to last that long. Same with boot. You can get the Vinyl boot, but unless you're under 100lbs and only skate once in a while, it's gonna break down really fast. I know a heavy set guy that got the vinyl boot with nylon plate and he destroyed it in a few months.

For rhythm, Snyder used to be the #1 plates and some people still prefer them. Some people (like T-Stacks) use the Powerdyne Arius plate (I believe that's aluminum). Both those types of plates will last for a long time, although after 40 years of use, I have seen a Snyder come apart. I have seen a Powerdyne Reactor break in half while being skated on.

Then there's Roll Line Plates. Those are usually aluminum, steel or titanium. They are lighter than the Snyders Plates. That's what I have and I swear they give you control that is unreal.

Are you looking to purchase a pair of skates for rhythm/dancing? If yes, maybe we could give you some advice.

• Hi,

thanks for the feedback. Yes, I’m asking this from the standpoint of Rhythm Dancing. Entry level standpoint/budget.

my current skates are Pacer Stratos, Sure Grip 73 with Avenger Magnesium Trucks, and Sure Grip GT-50 with Rock Plates. I’m assuming my 73’ set up would be best to dabble in dancing with?

regards,

tony

• Oh, you already have three pairs of skates!!! ;) Oh yes DEFINITELY the Sure Grip 73 IMO. But always lead with your heart, if you love a certain pair of skates, then just use em. As long as your having fun and have good support, there's really no rules in this type of roller skating.

• Thanks! Defintely I love the support and padding from the leather 73 boot and the ability to turn fast and effortlessly with the Avenger Trucks.

I'm getting used to and starting to like the GT-50 after changing cushions and wheels(to a wider wheels, Poison 62 x 44) to actually not feel tippy and turn feeling safe without insane effort, lol.

I aint gonna lie, I do love using the Pacer Stratos Skate, I know its an entry level skate that I put better bearings, cheap LED wheels and laces on but its got a fun factor to it. In part reminds of what I rode as a kid, Roller Derby brand high tops from Kmart...but it just flat out works and puts a smile on my face as well as my daughters friend that I loan to when she comes to skate with me and the crew...

Regards,

Tony

• Plate doesn't really matter. I've been skating since the late 70's ( I started at around 8 years old), I've skated on more types of equipment than I can remember.

I hate toe stops and I haven't used them since I was a kid, but that is a personal choice. I still have some classic Douglass-Snyder plates; well, made, but heavy, so I don't use them.

I have Roll Line Giotto's which are great, but I tend to use my Reactor's more often (Soft cushions on all plates for me). I've never had a single problem with the Reactor's although I know that some people have. Mine are the Original Reactor's for what it's worth.

Just find something comfortable and stick with it. Try to get a higher quality product if you have the means, so you won't need to replace it for a while, if ever.

Good luck, and happy skating.

-Cliff

• Thanks for the feedback! For the immediate future, I will run with what I got to see what my limits are with what I got. Fun times for sure, lots to learn, try and experience.

Regards,

Tony