wheel/bearing recommendations?

Hi friends,

Haven't skated for a while. Used to skate at a rink regularly, initially on blades and then switched to the quads I have now. They're sure-grip with "fame" wheels (not sure of the size) and I can't remember what bearings. A friend of mine who ran the rink got them for me and the rink has long since closed.

I'm looking to get back into artistic/jam skating outdoors since there's no local rink now. I want to replace my wheels with something that would work smoothly on rough surfaces outside. I don't know how easy it is to swap out wheels/bearings, or if I need to get new bearings. I appreciate any recommendations or advice from seasoned skaters here!

-Sara

Comments

• Just read in an article.

Installing bearings is not as tricky as it seems. The first step in setting up your new set of bearings is to loosen the bolt using your tools such as a spanner or a wrench. Next is lift and lean the truck so we can easily push down and lift off the wheel. After placing the new bearings on the trucks, put the wheel on top and press the bearing down into place. The next step is to place the spacer inside the wheel. You must do the same with the other bearing and repeat the process for the remaining wheels. To make sure that bearings are securely installed, tighten wheel washers and nuts. Then, you are good to go!

• Saraluna, glad to hear you're getting back into skating. I have used many sets of Fame wheels. They are pretty variable but most are quite slick wheels. Even though they are moderate in terms of hardness (95A) they offer two formulations. One is for solid colors and the other is for clear "gemtones". The solid colors have more grip, but not much more. So, if they feel too "slidy" maybe keep them but go get some wheels with more grip or reeding on the wheels (Fame wheels do not have reeding). Some people like that sliding feeling and use it as an asset in their skating. It's a personal preference. However, sometimes overly slick wheels are scary for beginners or fresh skaters. Also, if you are outdoors a lot, be aware that a softer wheel will be easier on your knees and ankles if you like to spend a lot of time on the outdoor rink or skate trail. Kryptonics makes some great choices for outdoor wheels in their "Route" series. Sure Grip Boardwalk wheels are also cushy and good for trail or Boardwalk skating, as they suggest. If you do rhythm and jam skating outdoors on a concrete rink try the Mota Toxic 59MM wheels in either hardness. As for bearings, if you want a recommendation for an outdoor bearing that's tough as nails I'd go with a set of Bronson Raw bearings (but they can rust if you get them wet and leave them wet). Those just chew up grit and literally spit it out. If you are under 150 pounds and want a bearing that can stand up to getting wet I'd recommend the BSB Speed 11 Ceramic bearings used with a metal soap lubricant such as MetOl made by Oust, I do not recommend Bones Speed Creme. When removing or installing bearings be careful not to dent the shields. Bent shields drag bearings. If you want to do it on the cheap get a Bones bearing extractor.

• Ceramic bearings are more recommended for pro skaters who are always thrilled about riding fast and doing hard stunts. High-end ceramic bearings are a bit pricey, but the durability and the performance that they can give you will be incomparable to their prices.

• I buy bearings from bearing resellers. The last bunch I bought were sealed with both sides covered. These are typically used for small electric moors and are rated for use up to 20K RPM. I use a regular bearing press to remove and install bearings. I have one from roll-line that works great. I have had bearings fail from other sources, which is why I seek them out from resellers.