Welcome Everybody!

edited March 2020 in About This Forum

I am new to Vanilla forums but I did a lot of research, and this is what people seem to like the most. If you notice any issues, let me know and I'll do my best to resolve them. Testing shows that registration, posting, and photo uploading go seamlessly so far. Have some patience with me because I do work full time and skate a lot (obviously) 😁

The setup of the topics matches SkateLog's pretty closely, but I added/changed a few. Notably, I added an ice topic since so many inliners also spend time on the ice, so I think it's a good place to talk about the different types of ice skating (speed/artistic/crashed ice/etc).. This forum is a work in progress so if there's anything you would like to see change, I'm open to hearing it. I hope our community likes this new forum and we grow even bigger and better.

Comments

• Thank you so much for creating this forum Jessica! I'm still learning my way around. A couple of questions: Is commenting the way we "reply" to a post in this forum? Also, is there a way to create a signature that gets appended to our posts and comments?

• Great questions! Yes, leaving a comment is the same as replying. And thank you for pointing out that signatures were missing- they have been added! When you edit your profile, you now have the option to add a signature 😁

• edited March 2020

A quick question about signatures: Is there any way to make my signature single spaced so it takes up less space and is not so spread out? (I have not found any formatting tools that would let me single space text in my posts or signature). Thanks!

• Thank you for setting this up, Jessica.

You may not recognize the username, because I've decided to use the username that I have used across several other forums when I used to race motorcycles.

Old time SkateLoggers will know me as chuckboucher.

😁

Indoor Inline: Pinnacle Full Customs | Junk Fury 4x110 | TLTF/Simmons Wheels | NMB

Outdoor Inline: Simmons Full Customs | Junk Fury 4x110 | Junk Wheels | NMB

Quads: Reidell 911 | Roll-Line Giotto | Corey Super-Ds/JG Hubs/B-Skater 71mm Outdoor | Bones Swiss/NMB

• Hey Chuck Boucher!! We are so happy to have you here!

• Good question Kathie- I don't see any options to change it in any of my settings, but I asked the community to see if there are any answers there. I'll let you know what I find out.

• edited March 2020

Yes keep it like this, clean look.

I like it, but just a minor problem hahaha (just kidding)

Being watching your logo Make ....skate...again.

I am not from US, anyway this one of last forums for skating.

I have joined many forums, but many passed.

Ps maybe I am just blind.

But I like search feature (for every specific forum >search this forum).

From The Netherlands

• Hi BMW325T1-

The search feature is near the top on the menu bar, under the logo on the right side. Are you saying that you are looking for a more advanced search feature? I can check and see if there's one available.

• Yup I mean like search feature like old forum. E.g. when reading speed forum and only search in speed forum.... thanks!

From The Netherlands

• Hey guys! New forum looks great; look forward to participating; likely more as it warms up for spring/summer around here (VT). Cheers!

• A suggestion:

give us the option to add short description (one or 2 sentences) on our profile so you could see other members setups and experience?

looking great so far! :)

FR3 80 inline skates

flow and slalom

Milwaukee, WI

• edited April 2020

Hi snowflow-

I think what you're referring to is what the signature line is for- it has the same effect except everyone sees the info on your posts instead of your profile.

Edit: I just updated the profiles with an "about me" text box.

• Hey, Jessica, thanks for putting in the effort to create this, much appreciated! I'm new to the community but I hope I can grow with it 😁 👌🏿

• I did not see this till now from the last few months. Been so focusing on Dead-Rinks and researching and cataloging so far 1500 rinks since Christmas 2018.

I see something too similar! Yes, your logo, Jessica. I created mine in December 2018 with the clear maple wood floor as backdrop. Yours is Stained Maple wood floor.

I wish I knew this and would have purchased Skatelog and merge with my Dead-Rinks. Please feel free to check my site, Jessica.

• Hey Dead_Rinks that is so cool!! Can I share your web page on social media with my Skate Debate account? I love the work you put into this!

• Hi everybody, same name from skatelog, retaking skating again or at least trying to. Glad i heard about this before skatelog went offline.

• HI Jessica, sure, please do share! And I share with yours as well! Thank you!

• Hello and thank you for creating this skate space! Very clean and focused on the "debate" rather than outside advertisers. I have a couple of requests-- a 'comment' link at the top of the thread to the bottom of the page, and a bigger field for the 'about' box, please? For me, on Safari, it's only a single line, about 15 or so characters. Thank you!

"I just love to skate. I found that the more time I put into it, the more enjoyment I got out of it." --Slomo

• Also, could there be a "street skating' category ?

"I just love to skate. I found that the more time I put into it, the more enjoyment I got out of it." --Slomo

• Hi CharlieZxi- thanks for your feedback! I added it to my list of things to look into.

• @Jessica

The pinging system (using the "at") like I have in the first line is not functioning as intended. If I don't know the exact name of the person I'm trying to ping, I cannot ping them. There is no drop-down menu listing the names of the users who I may be trying to ping.

I also cannot use the embed feature for some reason. It says the following when I try.

Request failed with status code 404

Uploading images is also wonky on my end. There is no scaling when an image is uploaded so it takes over my entire screen making it next-to-impossible to continue writing a post.

It would be nice to have hyperlink settings (for images and links to YouTube that are in posts). I think the default should be to open [hyperlinks] in new tabs. If you don't like that as a default, an option would be most appreciated.

Lastly, darkmode would be nice.

• @Bboyheathen you're right- I'll check into those issues.

I'm not sure if dark mode is an option but it probably is, I will let you know.