Lightest off the shelf quads for the street

Howdy skate pals,

I have Rookie skates that weigh a ton, and I'd love a pair of quads that are LIGHT!!! I'm interested to know of good quality lightweight skates that are sneaker style/flat rather than heeled.

I like the look of Chaya Ruby soft for example, 1.3kg - no ankle support though.

Any advice welcomed. I am NEW.

Debbie

Comments

• Have you looked at the Bont Parkstar? They are sneaker like but good quality. I have 2 carbon fiber boots from them and my first one has lasted me 10 years of weekly skating. I think the Bont Parkstar has a fiberglass sole instead of the carbon fibers. Slightly and I mean slightly heavier for the fiberglass.

• Most skates with good ankle support are heeled, but not all. The Antik AR2 (flat but has ankle support) sounds like something you'd like or maybe one of their other carbon fiber boots. Those are super light. Also, check out Mota boots. Those are light and often carbon fiber, too. I have a pair of semi-cheap Crazy Skate Evoke skates that are very light once you swap the wheels. They come with big-fat 65mm outdoor wheels, but you could put light park wheels or maybe some 55MM gummy wheels to lighten them but keep the outdoor grip. Also, you could put Mota Toxic or Perhaps Anadyne wheels on them to go even lighter and still keep grip. Sure Grip GT50's are cheap, super-comfy, and flat/sneaker-style but they don't have much ankle support (they are for derby/speed or people who dance on flat skates).

• First choose what kind of skate plate you want. What I mean depending on the skating style you like you should first pick plate, then go from there. In almost all cases there will be cheaper heavy weights and lighter weight alternatives that will use exotic elements like lighter metals, carbon fiber, etc. Once you have a plate picked out look to pair it with a boot that will fit your style too.

• Roller Derby actually makes a decent outdoor skate called Glidr. I know, I know... Roller Derby makes a lot of crap, but these skates are not bad for $120. They have 70mm 83A wheels which resemble the old Boomerang wheels. Bevo bearings and a decent lightweight plate. Worth a look.

• Whether you are buying steel or ceramic bearings, see to it that what you are taking home is of superior quality. Just remember that bearings must be kept clean and well-oiled to sustain their long-term performance.