Poorly Mounted Plates -- What To Look For?

Hey there!

I had a local shop mount a set of Pilot Falcon plates on a Moxi Jack boot. I've never done a custom build before, so when the shop handed me my assembled skates, it dawned on me that I didn't really know what to look for in giving them a once over. Generally my question is: What should you look for when inspecting newly mounted plates? However, here are a couple of things specific to my skates that I can't decide if indicative of a bad mounting job or if this is all totally normal:

1. The bolt/nut mounting the plate to the skate is behind the front axel (all of my "stock" skates have that fastened in front of the front axel). I have attached a picture of this.
  2. The space between the plate and the toe of the boot is about 7mm (which is a bigger space than I'm used to seeing in my other skates).
  3. One plate is mounted slightly further forward on one skate then the other (photo attached).
  4. When I look at the front of the skate, the toe stop looks like it's way off to the side. However, when I'm wearing them the toe stop feels like it's in the right place. (Photo attached, please excuse the toe cap folded off to the side).

Any advice you have on any of the above would be super appreciated. -- Megan

20210621_090452.jpg
3492 x 4656 - 5M
20210621_090556.jpg
4656 x 3492 - 5M
20210621_092032_HDR.jpg
3492 x 4656 - 4M

Comments

• OK the uneven front to back alignment is an indication of a rush job....so sloppy work. Not fatal however. OR, did they actually fit you in the boots?? There may be more going on here than I can see from the pix.

When you have the sk8s on do both front wheels appear to be evenly spaced on either side of the boot?? If they are then most likely you are in good shape.

That said there can be way more going on when properly mounting a plate to a boot.

1) Do the boots fit correctly?? As in snug with no foot wiggle (Front to back and side to side in both the front and the heel) when laced up?? If not how the plate is mounted is essentially meaningless.

2) Is the plate the correct size for your foot?? NOTE: I did not say boot, although if the boot fits correctly then you are headed in the right direction.

3) Is the plate located correctly in relation to he ball of your foot. If the front axles is behind the center of the ball of your foot you will have balance issues that overcoming will not be easy, or possibly impossible. When I build sk8s I typically put the front axle forward of the center of the ball of the foot unless specifically directed to do otherwise. There was quite a "discussion" over a pair I built recently on fb BUT the sk8er loves them so, we ignored all the "expert" input.

If they sk8 for ya then the job is adequate. If they don't take 'em back and get the mount corrected. There is a lot of latitude in what constitutes a "correct" mount BUT if they don't work for ya, it is not correct for you.