I think my new skate plates are not mounted correctly, please help.

Hello Doc,

Hope you are well.

I just purchased these Sure Grip 73 boots with Roll Line Variant M plates with medium urethane cushions and Roller Bones Elite wheels.

I am looking at this plate and I don't think it is correctly mounted. Am I wrong? The plate is aligned with the seam of the boot, all of my other skates have the plate between the 2nd and 3rd toe, this one is barely past the edge of my Daughter's big toe towards the second toe. Brand new setup that cost me quite a bit. Please advise.

I have attached pictures of the skate and plate.

Thank you,

Tony

PA012022_DxO.jpg
900 x 900 - 672K
PA012025_DxO.jpg
900 x 900 - 830K
PA012028_DxO.jpg
900 x 900 - 832K
PA012029_DxO.jpg
900 x 900 - 834K

Comments

• Not the way I build them if they are as described, that is for certain. Can you post up a pic of the front axle w/o the wheels, shooting straight down @ the center of the front axle??

• Hello DocSk8,

Hope you are well.

Yes, I will do this when I get home.

The plate looks like it was mounted as an ice skating blade, biased toward the inside of the foot, not as a roller skate plate biased toward the outside of the foot.

If it needs remounting, can it be done on this boot, or is the boot going to need to be replaced? I can't talk to the person that did this until Monday. So, disappointed right now.

Will upload pictures sometime this evening.

Later,

Tony

• Hello DocSk8,

Hope you are well.

Thank you for helping me.

I have snapped these two photos without the front wheels on.

Later,

Tony

PA022032_DxO.jpg
    900 x 900 - 524K
    PA022034_DxO.jpg
    900 x 900 - 534K
  • edited October 2021

Hello DocSk8,

I am now also questioning the size of the plate on this women's size 8 boot. They slapped a 170 on it, which I think is too long. Size 8 on the Roll Line chart appears to convert to 265cm which matches up with a 160 plate on their chart. Please advise on that also. I just chose match plate to boot on the order, so they selected size. These are for my 18 year old Daughter, who used to compete, but just wants to skate now for fun and exercise. These were supposed to be her forever skates, since her foot has finally stopped growing!! Please advise on the plate size for an ex-art skater who can do double jumps at whim.

I figured professionals would put the correct size on for me...

Thanks,

Tony

• As I previously stated, It is certainly not how I would build them. The alignment is definitely off in my book and the plates are certainly longer than I would use. All that said, do you have access to the last pair she sk8ed?? How long has it been since she was on the old pair??

You should have my phone number in the email I sent. Call me later this evening. I am going to be on the road today. I think we can sort this out.

• Thank you DocSk8,

Thank you for all of your help.

I don't have her old skates, I sold them to fund the new ones. However, she has been cramming her foot into my Wife's skates for the last year.

Here is comparison between Wife's skate and the new one. Wife's skate is a size 7 Riedell Boot with a custom size 5 Sure Grip Classic plate that has hangers that accept Sure Grip Urethane cushions. Can't remember what hangers they are, I remember they had junior in the name, Classice Jr. hangers? Maybe Jr. Pro hangers? Don't remember. The Urethane cushions are the medium yellow, and make the Classic skate beautifully compared to the black rubber ones.

The new plate is canted in the opposite direction of the plate on my Wife's skate. As seen in the pictures. Wide angle lens distortion is not showing it as well as in person.

The new skates look like they will constantly pull inwards while skating. Plates on my skates are also mounted slightly outwards, same with a really old pair of size 4s with Classic plates from when she was little. That size 4 boot I can see the pencil marking front and rear. None of them are mounted like this one. That is why when I saw them, I immediately said to myself "these are not mounted properly"....

I have not received an e-mail from you or a private message on this site. Would love to speak with you.

Gonna space this out... t s m a s c o l o at that G company to contact me.

Thank you very much,

Tony

PA032042_DxO.jpg
    900 x 900 - 1M
    PA032039_DxO.jpg
    900 x 900 - 1011K
  • Hello DocSk8,

Hope you are well.

I had a chat with the folks that mounted this boot, and he says he mounts all of his Edea and Roll Line plates directly on the center line without a 2-3mm offset to the outside. So, I don't know what to do now. He said, just have her skate on it and she will adjust.

Later,

Tony

• Your wheels don’t need to spin freely in 2 seconds. So, to further check, you should stand on for a few minutes and push it. If you’re having difficulty pushing or stopping, loosen the wheels slightly. If the wheels are rattling or you’re off balance, tighten them up a little bit on either side. Continue to experiment until you find what feels suitable moving for you.