Bruising on lower shins from laces

edited May 2020 in Inline Speed

Hello all, I am getting a large bump/bruise on my right lower shin from my top eyelet lacing. After unsuccessfully trying various diy corn cushions, I resorted to just skipping the top eyelets. This has been ok but obviously not ideal.

For some quirk of my anatomy this doesn’t happen on my left foot.  I am skating Bont Jets.

I plan to try a much thicker cushion. If that fails to use a separate set of laces only for the top eyelets but I think that will just move the issue up a little higher on my foot. Curious if anyone else has this issue and what they would suggest.  

Comments

• Yup had same problem, like you I have skipped first laces holes.

Or you can stretch out that shaving spot..

From The Netherlands

• I didnt realize how common lace bite is for hockey players but there are a few options they recommend. This is a pretty good summary

"https://builtforhockey.com/lace-bite-cure/"

What do you mean by stretch out that shaving spot

• Well if your boots is made o f leather. You can stretch that tight area.... to have more room.

From The Netherlands

• Thanks for sharing link, I really don't like those solutions.

I am skating on 125mm wheels (more flex), so any loose layer will cause more friction.

From The Netherlands

• Yeah Im on 125 too so know what you mean about flex. Ive been using EZ Fits to stop the skin burns.

I think I found a solution that works for me at least. I rolled up a 2'x2" piece of rubber and placed it just under the bump on my ankle. There is no side to side motion just more flex forward. I also switched to out to in lacing which I may or may not keep.

• Yeah glad to hear you have solutions. I see i have not read well your problem. You mean you have a tight spot at ankle area?

I thought you you have problem at toe area. That is what I have, so I have to skip first laces holes at front of shoes.

From The Netherlands