Freeskaters rock?

After some searching without much in the way of results, I’ll ask here:

Do people generally have rockered setups for Freeride skating? It seems most of the Freeride skates come with a flat frame (Seba FRs being the obvious ones), but I would have thought rockering would be the preferred choice for everything except fitness, speed and agressive.

I mainly ask as I learned years ago on aggressive skates, and mostly learned during that time that throwing myself up in the air and attempting to land on railings wasn’t for me, but also just skating in a straight line or circles isn’t me either. I’ve put rockered frames on my FR1s and found them somewhat unstable, but will persevere if that’s how people generally roll! On the positive side, the road vibration was improved, though at the expense of wear I expect!

Comments

• I have riden some rockered freeride frames years ago.

Good of those frames you were able make frames a little bit longer or lower....

With freeride I like to have much road contact as possible for speed, power transfer and stability.

From The Netherlands

• I don't believe many people skate rockered. I do, but it's just a preference because I've been doing it for so long.

However... when there is a group-skate I CAN'T keep up at all because my wheels are 76 and my frame is a 231. I need three times the exertion to even exist.

It looks like so much fun going fast. Oh god, I hope I lose this train of thought so I don't go out and buy some speed skates, or those big wheel skates.

• Yeah I have skated on rockered PS 231 frames, very agile and response. But very exhausted when at high speed.

From The Netherlands

• Would you suggest going back to flat frames then? Or will it get easier with practice? I don’t really want to keep both sets of frames, I’d rather just get familiar with one way of doing it!

• If you like to cruise at more higher speed, more stable cornering, improving your skate skills. Yess!🤗

From The Netherlands

• Same. Going long distance and speed, go flat.

• Feels like cheating, but I’ll swap back to flat tomorrow and see how that goes again. I’ve done 25km on the rockered setup so far.

• Nahh it is not cheating, is just how physics works...😀 Have fun with flat rolling😎

From The Netherlands

• I like rockered inlines, when I skate inlines. I never go straight though. I actually have difficulty going straight. I am ALWAYS arcing left or right. And usually going backward.

• I’ve had a long outing (10k) with flat again. Definitely less tension as I don’t feel like I’ll lose it all the time! I’ve now possibly got a good deal on the 3x110 seba frames, which might also work well as I’ve got some pretty rough roads where I skate. One day I may be able to justify a second pair of skates so I don’t have to keep swapping frames!!

• Good to it works out for you! Flat is just better and less wasting of your push energy. Have fun...

From The Netherlands