Frame length 12.8 vs 13 any difference?

Hi, I was wondering if there is any noticeable difference of a frame at 12.8 vs 13 with 3x125mm wheels?

I was looking at Bont Jets. I'm currently using 4x110mm Bont Jets with 13.2 frame. I wanted to to try out the 3 wheel setup and it's $200.00 difference between the 12.8 vs the 13. The 13 does only come in carbon fiber so maybe that's where all the cost is.

I pretty much only skate outdoor trails, which is mostly straight with little to no turning.

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• The only place you will likely notice an issue is fast downhills. Up until 3x125, all of my speed skates have been 13.2 5x80, 4x100, and 4x110. But the only 13.2 or longer available are EO Carbon frames. Being carbon, that means the are less stiff which sort of defeats the purpose of the longer frame. I went with a Powerslide XXX 13.0 frame. I did not notice any issues but for circumstantial reasons, I also have not managed to get them noticeably over 35mph either.

I have big (13US) and long (36" inseam) legs so I still would prefer a longer frame. If you have more modest dimensions you may find you actually prefer a shorter frame. The sweet spot for most people seems to be about 12.8. At least the sport and industry keeps coming back to that number whenever it is possible. 5x84 and 4x110 are exceptions.

• I'm 6'11" with the same inseam and boot size and the 13.2 frame I use now feels normal sense it's all I've ever used on speed skates.

Thanks for the info. I'll give the XXX 13.0 a look.

• I am a small guy 1,7 meter, have never tried 12,8 or 13 3x125 frame. Any speed improvement noticeable with these extra inches?

From The Netherlands

• I can't really say sense I've never really used smaller frames on my speed skates. To me it seems more of a stability change rather then a speed change. But I guess more stability more speed?

Not sure if that helps you at all.

• When switching from 4x110, I was concerned about stability on shorter frames, but got feedback that 12.8" was a suitable length for speedskaters. I have been very happy with 12.8".

• Thanks mates for inputs.

Currently I a m on 12,6 3x125 and 4x110. The only only problem have is cross overs ( sometimes occur). But have no problem with power transfer.

O well will have a look for used 12,8 or 13. Cheaper to try out. Thanks mates๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜€

From The Netherlands